List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [kspread] - KSpreadCell simplification
From:       Ariya Hidayat <ariya () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-12-13 14:44:47

> You have a point with this -- my thinking was that the dialog was named
> 'Cell Format' and so for consistancy it should be called format in the
> code. Perhaps we have too much in one dialog box.  Maybe we should have
> separate dialogs, one for the cell border/color/etc. and the other for the
> date/scientific/fractional display type and things like that.

> I'm not aware of any place in the user interface that uses the word
> 'layout'. The more important thing in my mind is to have the ui use clear
> language.   I don't see a problem giving it all the name 'format' but maybe
> others disagree?  The names of source files and classes I think is
> secondary, and only important for new programmers who want to work on
> kspread and will expect things to be named the same since they are
> unfamiliar with the code layout.

We can agree that the final name will be KSpreadFormat, so in this case
painting- and value-formatting things will be just merged into the same
class. If there's need to break it down (for convenience and/or better memory
usage optimization), then use KSpreadPaintFormat and KSpreadValueFormat.

OTOH I recall that in KWord, Style is simply "named" Layout which can be
reused. So, in our case (KSpread), Style will be just "named" Format, which
will lead to another confusion :-)

> The things I plan to name KSpreadLayout are the painting offset of the
> output text, total width/height needed to paint it, and things like this
> that are internal.  What are these named in Gnumeric?

I'm not sure, all I know is that almost cell attributes are put in Style,
which make sense because applying such attributes/formatting is just like
applying "unnamed" style.

Regards,

Ariya

PS: Somehow I feel using namespace is even a good idea for the future.