List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [kspread] - KSpreadCell simplification
From:       Philipp =?iso-8859-1?q?M=FCller?= <philipp.mueller () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-12-13 14:58:04

Am Freitag, 13. Dezember 2002 15:40 schrieb David Faure:

> On Friday 13 December 2002 10:25, John Dailey wrote:
> > You have a point with this -- my thinking was that the dialog was named
> > 'Cell Format' and so for consistancy it should be called format in the
> > code. Perhaps we have too much in one dialog box.  Maybe we should have
> > separate dialogs, one for the cell border/color/etc. and the other for
> > the date/scientific/fractional display type and things like that.
>
> The single dialog is _very_ handy (and consistent with Excel IIRC).

Yes and it's called properties. This dialog shouldn't be split but renamed to
cell properties (IMHO).
That doesn't influence the classes behind.

> > The things I plan to name KSpreadLayout are the painting offset of the
> > output text, total width/height needed to paint it, and things like this
> > that are internal.  What are these named in Gnumeric?

So with the suggestion of David, this belongs to CellLayout.

> > > Sorry if this is a bit late, but I don't quite agree. IMHO, "Layout" is
> > > related to the appearance of the cell, e.g border, size, color while
> > > "Format" is how the cell's value is rendered, e.g dd/mm/yyyy for date,
> > > decimal precision, and fractions. IIRC this concept is used in Gnumeric
> > > and quite make sense.
>
> For info:
> the KWord/KPresenter terminology is that
> * layout is indeed about layouting, stuff related to
> painting/width/height/etc. * format is the set of settings for some data:
> colors, borders, font etc. * stuff like date format and decimal precision
> is called ... hmm, KoVariableFormat. So in fact we don't use just "format",
> but "TextFormat" and "VariableFormat".
>
> For KSpread I would suggest that kspreadlayout is indeed about layouting,
> and to introduce CellFormat (for borders colors etc.) and
> ValueFormat or DataFormat for the date format stuff.

Good idea to keep the terminology consistent between the apps.

But as we are now at this point, wouldn't it be good to discuss this in
detail? I mean, how we want the inheritance and classes?

As Ariya suggested, we want to share the properties for the cells. But how do
we want to achieve this. I think everybody has some ideas and/or concepts in
mind, but we should discuss these first, before we start to change the
existing code. And of course, it's time to change it now.

Shall we meet on IRC or shall we do it here via email?
As I'm a more visual person, how to exchange the structure in file format?

Philipp