On Wednesday 30 October 2002 9:54 pm, Dirk Schönberger wrote: | > I think there are two reasons why Qt doesn't support more sophisticated | > rendering API: | > * such API will have to be implemenetd on Windows, which is *painful* | | IMHO the later Windows versions contains GDI versions GDI+, which provides | some features, which could be used for this. But these APIs are not | available in lower Windows, think Windows 98. | Or they could use líbart, but this wouldn't be possible, of course... I think we were speaking about SVG, no? So, if TrollTech adds support for SVG 1.1 in X11 version of QT - than they need to do the same in Windows and MacOS X versions. As about WMF: they can map GDI calls to Windows GDI on Windows platform, but that doesn't help with X11 and Mac OS X. I think that instead of writing N renderers (for N vector formats), it's better to write (N-1) converters to SVG format, and render SVG. Note that WMF and EMF formats are developed, and we need support ofr them (on Linux/KDE) just for compatibility with WIndows platform (MS Word .doc files, may be, some clipart) | | > * limited resources (and no request for such features from customers | > who *pay* money for Qt) | | I think this is the real reason. Sure. AFAIK there is only one office suite which uses Qt3. (I am not sure about Hancom office, may be they are second - but I haven't seen it) So, we are on *bleeding edge* of development. And just hitting some limits of existing toolkits. | > | > I think you again mixing *file format* and *programming language*. | > PS is *language*, PDF is ... somewhat unclear, derivative of PS with | > some "new | > features". | > SVG is rather clean implementation of data set in XML form. | > You can process XML with Qt3, expat, libxml2. | > But you can't process PS files with any of thos elibraries. You need GS | for PS. | | I will | Cool! | Postscript: a programming language with runtime system and API, the "grand | parent" of the more modern APIs | PDF: a file format with a similar syntax than Postscript, but with a fixed | set of operators (instead of the programming language aspect of PS, which | allows for own operators, and the overloading of existing operators) And this makes PDF a better candidate for parsing/data interchange, comparing to PS. I think XPDF is not dependant on GhostScript, so you may want to take a look on its code, too. | SVG - an XML dialoect / application for definitions of vector graphics. | The actual vector data isn't stored in XML syntax, but instead of a custom | syntax. This gets you a smaller file size. A parser for SVG path data is | part of Karbon core, beside other parts. | Processing PS files is more or less easy, the syntax is not so | complicated. It will become complicated if you want to implement the | programming language features of Postscript. And what you are going to do about emdedded fonts? And "substituted parts" of those? PS is not only "paths". Main purpose of PS is *fonts*. As about embedded fonts - well, it can be done :-) You need * extract font from PS file * decode/reencode * supply font to FreeType * render it using FreeType, and return results back. Are you ready for that? :-) | | Yes, you can process XML files with Qt3, expat, libxml2. You can't howeer, | process the path data description as easy. I think rsvg a,d ksvg contains | their own SVG path parser. Karbons SVG Path parser is based upon the KSVG | one. | | Regards | Dirk | _______________________________________________ | koffice-devel mailing list | koffice-devel@mail.kde.org | http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/koffice-devel -- Vadim Plessky http://kde2.newmail.ru (English) 33 Window Decorations and 6 Widget Styles for KDE http://kde2.newmail.ru/kde_themes.html KDE mini-Themes http://kde2.newmail.ru/themes/ _______________________________________________ koffice-devel mailing list koffice-devel@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/koffice-devel