List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: The road goes ever on
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-10-30 10:35:42

On Wednesday 30 October 2002 11:31 am, Dirk Schönberger wrote:
|  >
|  > You haven't mentioned that you want to convert image to *vector format*!
|
|  Sorry I think I missed your intended purpose for using EPS files. If you
|  want to convert arbitrary images into EPS containing the image data, for
|  later inclusion into LaTex, your proposed tools seem to be ok.
|  My prefered work is around real vector images, so I tried to show you my
|  prefered tools ;)

ok, I have never used Latex, so Iguessed that EPS files are the only files
supported by it.
As about "real vector images" - I guess we speak about SVG files, right?..

|  > Yes, there is an Open-Source autotrace, which also can be used by
|  > ImageMagick,
|  > BTW (if it is installed).
|  > But do you really wnat to *autotrace* PNG or JPEG, during export to
|  Latex?..
|
|  Again, I misunderstood you. For image data you don't need no autotrace.
| But do you really need EPS? Aren't there other ways to include image /
| bitmapped data into Latex?

No idea!  I am not Latex user :-)

|  > For the reference image which I used this would produce:
|  > 160x160=25600 rectangles.
|  > It would be interesting to see png2svg utility doing this job.
|  > (which would greatly complement Karbon14' set of tool, IMO)
|  > I guess 'rect' primitive is ok for this task, no need to use 'path'
|
|  I want to use vector data not out of fun, but because to be able to later
|  change the data (recolor, change the resulting paths). Your proposed
| process would create not especially useable vector data, not to speak from
| the performance hit while rendering :)

To be fair, what I proposed is *good solution*.
FYI: Adobe calls such thing "gradient mesh" (in Adobe Illustrator 9/10)
You can do *a lot of things* with gradient meash.  I think there are some
"Effects" plugins for AI, which can apply effects using vector
transformations *on gradient mesh*!

As about performance - if you are satisfied with GS performance, you wouldbe
ok with gradient meshes like this, too.
Seriously: if you have 1GHz Pentium III, or Athlon 2100XP+ - how do you
suppose to spend extra cycles? :-)
I propose to spend them on stransparency/alpha channle, and numerous gradients
in SVG-based UI/icons/widgtes :-))

|  >
|  > Com'on, SVG is XML-based.
|  > You always can have a wrapper around several SVG images, in XML format.
|  > The easiets way to achieve this is to use XHTML+CSS, or XML+CSS, with
|  > paged media (@media page)
|
|  I agree, that this would be possible. It is however, no "genuine" SVG, so
|  you still have to find an application / device which can render your file.
|  Last I know is that there is not integrated xhtml or svg rendering
|  capability in your common printer.

Same words told me Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us>, one of key
Image Magick developers.

But let's make fair analysis.
99% of printer do not support PostScript. And still all Linux users print on
thos eusers, using GhostScript/CUPS.
Replace GS/CUPS with SVG-based rendering model/renderer, and that's it.
May be, CUPS can be extended via some plugin to support such renderer, and SVG
MIME type.

|  For displaying of multipage documents on screen you may also consider PDF.

Which is PS based.
I think PDF needs to be replaced.  It is not *open* (and PS is owned by Adobe,
too).
SVG seems to be W3C standard. So we are on a *safe way* whneuse SVG.

I think you may want to take a look at MVG (Magick Vector Graphics), part of
ImageMagick.
MVG is internal SVG-based format, used by IM.
It's basically "streamed" SVG, so you don't nedd to parse XML (and no need for
"pasring" phase in SVG processing, youy can start rendering immediately)

I think MVG lok slik einteresting if you want to demonstrate "streaming
possibility" for vector graphics.

|  Regard
|  Dirk

Vadim Plessky