On Wednesday 30 October 2002 11:31 am, Dirk Schönberger wrote: | > | > You haven't mentioned that you want to convert image to *vector format*! | | Sorry I think I missed your intended purpose for using EPS files. If you | want to convert arbitrary images into EPS containing the image data, for | later inclusion into LaTex, your proposed tools seem to be ok. | My prefered work is around real vector images, so I tried to show you my | prefered tools ;) ok, I have never used Latex, so Iguessed that EPS files are the only files supported by it. As about "real vector images" - I guess we speak about SVG files, right?.. | | > Yes, there is an Open-Source autotrace, which also can be used by | > ImageMagick, | > BTW (if it is installed). | > But do you really wnat to *autotrace* PNG or JPEG, during export to | Latex?.. | | Again, I misunderstood you. For image data you don't need no autotrace. | But do you really need EPS? Aren't there other ways to include image / | bitmapped data into Latex? No idea! I am not Latex user :-) | > For the reference image which I used this would produce: | > 160x160=25600 rectangles. | > It would be interesting to see png2svg utility doing this job. | > (which would greatly complement Karbon14' set of tool, IMO) | > I guess 'rect' primitive is ok for this task, no need to use 'path' | | I want to use vector data not out of fun, but because to be able to later | change the data (recolor, change the resulting paths). Your proposed | process would create not especially useable vector data, not to speak from | the performance hit while rendering :) To be fair, what I proposed is *good solution*. FYI: Adobe calls such thing "gradient mesh" (in Adobe Illustrator 9/10) You can do *a lot of things* with gradient meash. I think there are some "Effects" plugins for AI, which can apply effects using vector transformations *on gradient mesh*! As about performance - if you are satisfied with GS performance, you wouldbe ok with gradient meshes like this, too. Seriously: if you have 1GHz Pentium III, or Athlon 2100XP+ - how do you suppose to spend extra cycles? :-) I propose to spend them on stransparency/alpha channle, and numerous gradients in SVG-based UI/icons/widgtes :-)) | > | > Com'on, SVG is XML-based. | > You always can have a wrapper around several SVG images, in XML format. | > The easiets way to achieve this is to use XHTML+CSS, or XML+CSS, with | > paged media (@media page) | | I agree, that this would be possible. It is however, no "genuine" SVG, so | you still have to find an application / device which can render your file. | Last I know is that there is not integrated xhtml or svg rendering | capability in your common printer. Same words told me Bob Friesenhahn , one of key Image Magick developers. But let's make fair analysis. 99% of printer do not support PostScript. And still all Linux users print on thos eusers, using GhostScript/CUPS. Replace GS/CUPS with SVG-based rendering model/renderer, and that's it. May be, CUPS can be extended via some plugin to support such renderer, and SVG MIME type. | | For displaying of multipage documents on screen you may also consider PDF. Which is PS based. I think PDF needs to be replaced. It is not *open* (and PS is owned by Adobe, too). SVG seems to be W3C standard. So we are on a *safe way* whneuse SVG. I think you may want to take a look at MVG (Magick Vector Graphics), part of ImageMagick. MVG is internal SVG-based format, used by IM. It's basically "streamed" SVG, so you don't nedd to parse XML (and no need for "pasring" phase in SVG processing, youy can start rendering immediately) I think MVG lok slik einteresting if you want to demonstrate "streaming possibility" for vector graphics. | | Regard | Dirk | _______________________________________________ | koffice-devel mailing list | koffice-devel@mail.kde.org | http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/koffice-devel -- Vadim Plessky http://kde2.newmail.ru (English) 33 Window Decorations and 6 Widget Styles for KDE http://kde2.newmail.ru/kde_themes.html KDE mini-Themes http://kde2.newmail.ru/themes/ _______________________________________________ koffice-devel mailing list koffice-devel@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/koffice-devel