List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Convert image in (e)ps
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-10-30 10:53:36

On Wednesday 30 October 2002 1:06 pm, Robert JACOLIN wrote:
|  Le Mercredi 30 Octobre 2002 08:31, Dirk Schönberger a écrit :
|  > > |  data to vector data, but instead convert the image data from its
|  > > | compressed form as PNG to an uncompressed form which is uncompressed
|  > > | form useable by a printer.
|  > >
|  > > You haven't mentioned that you want to convert image to *vector
|  > > format*!
|  >
|  > Sorry I think I missed your intended purpose for using EPS files. If you
|  > want to convert arbitrary images into EPS containing the image data, for
|  > later inclusion into LaTex, your proposed tools seem to be ok.
|  > My prefered work is around real vector images, so I tried to show you my
|  > prefered tools ;)
|  >
|  > > Yes, there is an Open-Source autotrace, which also can be used by
|  > > ImageMagick,
|  > > BTW (if it is installed).
|  > > But do you really wnat to *autotrace* PNG or JPEG, during export to
|  > Latex?..
|
|  No :( Except if you use special tools like pdflatex, but you will be able
| to generate only pdf.
|  I follow your thread and I see your "benchmark". Perhaps eps would be
| better to make test because you have a small image (not screen size). It
| seems to me that image in PS are only sreen size while image in EPS
| (Encapsuled PS) can contains a small image.

ok, pls check atathced *PS* file - just printed to PS using Konq 3.0.8 (KDE
3.1beta2, Qt -3.0.5).As 27K were bzipped to 21.2K, I guess image was embedded
in binary/compressed format inside this PS file.
If you want to make EPS from it - run GS with option to add BoundBox, or
import into Karbon14 and export as EPS. :-)

Note that I am using ESP GS
[vad@VPlessky vad]$ rpm -q ghostscript
ghostscript-7.05.5-0

(binary RPM is available from me for Mandrake 8.2 users, I run LM 8.2)
Check http://espgs.sourceforge.net  for details on ESP GS.

In a few words: it's a GNU GS 7.05, patched to work :-)
It also support CUPS raster.
So, in contrast to many other lInux users, I have just one GS installed, not
two (one *standard* GS and another as part of CUPS package)
Thanks to Till for incorporated it into Mandrake 9.0!

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)
http://kde2.newmail.ru/kde_themes.html
KDE mini-Themes
http://kde2.newmail.ru/themes/

["web-spider2.ps.bz2" (application/x-bzip2)]