List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: 1dok.org - and what about KOffice?
From:       Dirk_Schönberger <dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de>
Date:       2002-10-29 11:15:04

> >      Will we be able to participate with our KOffice documents?
> >
> > So are there any plans to make the KOffice file formats more OpenOffice
> > compatible - or is that a silly illusion due to internal
> > incompatibilities (e.g. of the object model)?

I think it is possible, if the functionality is desired.
I am not quite up to date on KOffice file formats, but I think that KWord
had some difficulties in having OpenOffice file format compatibility.
I proposed a file format change for the Karbon14 file format (with some
sample implementation), which was accepted and integrated into Karbon CVS.

The implementation was like a light-weight filter (i.e. it was implemented
as a C++ class and called directly in the load and store operations of the
document classes.

> I believe the best way to go forward is to use (heavilly) the openoffice
> file format and add certain places in the XML tree where extensions can
> be added.
> Extensions like math-ml, but also like framesets come to mind.

IIRC OpenOffice file format provides way of storing the changing actions to
the Document Object Model, instead of storing the DOM as corresponding tags
directly. An application of this would be the "quick sae" feature in current
(MS) Office. I don't think that KOffice currently supports such
functionality.

Do you think it would be a good idea to introduce such a feature KOffice
wide?

Regards
Dirk