List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: 1dok.org - and what about KOffice?
From:       Karl-Heinz Zimmer <khz () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-10-29 9:44:10

On Tuesday 29 October 2002 10:34, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 09:46:45AM +0100, Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > just found this:  http://www.1dok.org/eng/frameset.html
> >
> > This is a project supported by german bundesrepublik.org aiming at an
> > open standard for free and unimpeded exchange of electronic documents
> > via internet.
> >
> > I might be wrong but to me it looks like currently they seem to focus
> > on asking for enhancing the OpenOffice file format to make it match
> > the needs...
> >
> > This of course might make a lot of sense but the question is:
> >
> >      Will we be able to participate with our KOffice documents?
> >
> > So are there any plans to make the KOffice file formats more OpenOffice
> > compatible - or is that a silly illusion due to internal
> > incompatibilities (e.g. of the object model)?
> >
> > If the later:
> >
> >      Do we plan (for future enhancements on the file formats)
> >      taking the OpenOffice formats into account to prevent from
> >      making the gap even larger?
> >
> > Or is all this asking of mine nonsense since we believe in the
> > reliability of our OpenOffice import/export filters that are being
> > developed ATM?
> >
> > Please don't get me wrong: I am not trying to criticize - jus asking
> > for information because I think the 1dok.org project must be taken
> > very seriously - if we do not want to see KOffice on the sideline
> > in a few years.
>
> I believe the best way to go forward is to use (heavilly) the openoffice
> file format and add certain places in the XML tree where extensions can
> be added.
> Extensions like math-ml, but also like framesets come to mind.
>
> I (still) think the best way to accomplish that is to put a number of
> people in one room.
>
> Is the 1dok format (which is said to use the ideas proposed on the
> openoffice mailing list) using this approuch?
> I hope so :)

Yes, so it looks like they do that.

They will have an important meeting on CeBit:

     http://www.1dok.org/de/content/cebit.html
     (sorry, english only)

Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Senior Software Engineer, Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
<mailto:khz@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se>            <mailto:khz@kde.org>