List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [Karbon14] Re: Re: Re: misc
From:       Dirk_Schönberger <dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de>
Date:       2002-10-29 8:54:07

> > Just to point out; all usability studies, and most graphics artist agree
that
> > the GUI of Adobe Illustrator is a the worst in usability on the market.

> Then all applications should stop copying it's interface. To be honest i
> was pretty productive 4h after first contact with it. In KDE i still
> waste much time searching for the stuff i want and that after 5 years
> using it.

Which applications copy Adobe Illustrator's interface?

> > If you want to do it in a docker; then do so via actions. So the docker
(which
> > should be a toolbar) can be configured normally.

> Hm, but a docked toolbar with tabpage looks rather silly.

Somehow I still don't understand this sub-thread?
From what I understand, you have two options:
a) break the functionality of a docker into multiple groups of toolbars and
other GUI elements, like combo boxes.
  -pro: you have more actions, which can be distributed according to the
users
           preferences
  - con: more work, no way to create "dockers" with some GUI editing tools

b) view a docker as some kind of 2-dimensional container, similar to a
dialog
  - pro: you can "design" the UI of such an element with you GUI editing
tool
  - con: you have to create custom GUI elements (docker, non-modal dialogs,
            multi-tab dialogs, etc

I would prefer option a), and perhaps would like to see a way to
automatically generate a pleasing 2d layout form a list of actions (or
action containers).

> > A point I made last week stands though, a user WILL still expect the
defaults
> > to be usable. So a docker should just be a toolbar for maximum
conformaty.

> So we get the optimal result if karbon14 wasn't a koffice program.
> Mental note made...

I think if Karbon14 wasn't an Koffice program, it would be irrelevant. I
think the connection between Karbon14 and KOffice is mutual. KOffice need a
good 2d vector graphics program, and Karbon need a "container" which defines
its GUI for better reusability.

<<<< rest of technical discussion clipped >>>>

Regards
Dirk