List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [Karbon14] Out of order undos, tools
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-09-25 11:26:06

On Wednesday 25 September 2002 10:37, Dirk Schönberger wrote:
> Benoit Vautrin suggested that the normal command history should be changed
> so that each action is redoable outside of the sequence it was created.
>
> I don't quite understand what you want to achieve with such a feature? IMHO
> the current command history is fine as it is.
> What I could think of is a "reverse" mode of a Tool. In this the "do" and
> "undo" functionalities are reversed. You can add such a "reverse" action to
> your normal command history.
> I think this way you could have out-of-order undos without having to change
> the
> command list, don't you?

I like the way Photoshop has this. (last I tried was 5)

It has a list of actions; a history-tool. You can click an action and your
document state will be returned to how it was at that time, I.e. all actions
after that date were un-done.

I don't see the need to undo one action and not some actions later in the
action chain, if only because it would render wierd results and confuse
users.

Pressing undo simply shows the last action grayed out. Pressing undo again
grays out another and pressing redo enables it again. So its nothing more
then a visualisation tool of the undo-redo commands. Which is something more
then karbon can make use off :)

--
Thomas Zander     zander@planescape.com
We are what we pretend to be