List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Maybe a kword 1.2-rc1 bug?
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-08-26 8:54:46

On Saturday 24 August 2002 1:10 pm, Scott Lanham wrote:
|  Hi,
|
|  Kword is getting good :-) I am starting to feel really productive while
| using it.

:-)

|  While using the true type font "arial" from m$ I am getting strange
| results. Attached is a section from a print preview screen. The bottom part
| of the g and y are truncated a little. It is not consistent and will vary
| with font size. If I adjust the line spacing to a "custom" mm value of
| about 0.5 it goes away. Also, printing to a pdf file with this same font
| produces a mess, but I don't think kword is responsible for that ;-)

If you want to create PDFs (viewed on platform different from Linux/XFree86) -
you really want to use PostScript Type1 fonts.
I have experimental 'Arial PS' font (in Type1 format), pls let me know if you
are interested to test.

TrueType fonts are converted (by Qt) to PS Type3 format (when document is
printed, either to PS or to PDF), which doen't have support for hints.
Such PDF look very ugly in Adobe Acrobat (tested ver.4 and ver.5 on Windows)
but still dsiplayed reasonably well in GhostView (gv) or KGhostView.
(GhostScript does better job of handling bad/non-hinted outlines than Acrobat,
IMO)

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)