List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KWord and bitmap fonts
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-07-25 20:29:00

On Thursday 25 July 2002 22:02, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 25. Juli 2002 12:49, David Faure wrote:

> > The real long term solution for this is being worked on - Keith suggested
> > that we "cheat" on the DPI value, passing a DPI value to libXft that is
> > calculated so that it "includes the desired zoom level". This needs a Qt
> > API change though, so it can't be done right now.
>
> Then it is again for systems *with* libXft!

Yes. Not a problem I believe?

> > Once this is done, I suppose bitmap fonts will be rendered ok again, _on
> > screen_. Printing is another matter, but maybe a font substitution at
> > print time is acceptable, in which case we can keep bitmap fonts in the
> > GUI.

I don't see the value of allowing something that can not be printed to be
added to a program that is mainly made for printing..
Keep in mind that creating PDFs is also printing in respect to fonts.

> > I consider the current solution temporary (see DPI stuff above), so any
> > more discussion/work on it is IMHO useless. But the question that remains
> > is: is the current system working good enough to make a stable 1.2
> > release from it?

First; its better then the 1.1 engine, that is for sure!
I think it can use some tweaks to make sure it works better on != 100% zoom,
if only for the time being. (using a feedback-loop to create a table for
adjusting the scaling will probably proove helpful ;)

> I think that the compromise could be that we have an option to allow or not
> bitmap fonts in font dialogs and font combo boxes. The default should be
> not to allow bitmap fonts.
> For more advanced user, the option would permit to override this limit and
> to use bitmap fonts. It would also allow to still have bitmap font support
> if the problem is even bigger than we think that it is now.

I don't see why you would want to compromise, as David allready pointed out
that the currect solution does not take kindly to usage of bitmap fonts. I'm
impressed that you still want to go in that direction, but its not something
you should be pushing if you don't have a good codebase to back you up.

> (By the way, KWord's font combo box in the tool bar still allows bitmap
> fonts.)

Yes, I'm sad about that. It's my fault as I was reworking the font dialog
(from kdelibs) and forgot that one. Since we have a freeze in kdelibs this
might be a hard to fix problem.

- --
Thomas Zander                                           zander@planescape.com
                                                 We are what we pretend to be