List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KWord and bitmap fonts
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-07-25 20:02:09

On Donnerstag, 25. Juli 2002 12:49, David Faure wrote:

> On Monday 22 July 2002 01:54, Nicolas Goutte wrote:

> > > Ehh, we disallowed bitmapped fonts then, that is why they are fixed.
> >
> > No, David really fixed all of the problems and not by putting a cloak on
> > them!
> >
> > http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-cvs&m=101404277810925&w=2
>
> Well, that cvs log was a bit optimistic. I didn't solve all the problems
> coming from bitmap fonts - in particular, the idea of "using the metrics
> from the 100%-zoom size" only works well if you're at a 100% zoom. At any
> other zoom level, you end up with many problems - including, for some
> fonts, NO zooming at all - I have seen fonts that keep the same pixel size
> at all zoom levels, which, well, really sucks.

Since that time, I had not many problems anymore.

> The real long term solution for this is being worked on - Keith suggested
> that we "cheat" on the DPI value, passing a DPI value to libXft that is
> calculated so that it "includes the desired zoom level". This needs a Qt
> API change though, so it can't be done right now.

Then it is again for systems *with* libXft!

> Once this is done, I suppose bitmap fonts will be rendered ok again, _on
> screen_. Printing is another matter, but maybe a font substitution at print
> time is acceptable, in which case we can keep bitmap fonts in the GUI.
>
> I consider the current solution temporary (see DPI stuff above), so any
> more discussion/work on it is IMHO useless. But the question that remains
> is: is the current system working good enough to make a stable 1.2 release
> from it?

I think that the compromise could be that we have an option to allow or not
bitmap fonts in font dialogs and font combo boxes. The default should be not
to allow bitmap fonts.

So as default, you would only use Type 1 or TrueType fonts, giving you a good
WYSIWYG.

For more advanced user, the option would permit to override this limit and to
use bitmap fonts. It would also allow to still have bitmap font support if
the problem is even bigger than we think that it is now.

(By the way, KWord's font combo box in the tool bar still allows bitmap
fonts.)

As we are in message freeze, the option can only be in the configuration
files. However, as for having a correct bitmap font system, you will probably
have to edit XF86Config and remove any :unscaled font path. Therefore I do
not think that a configuration file option will be a problem.

We also have to think about KPresenter. It should have the same problem, as it
is kotext-based too. The question is: should we use the same option or
another one (if kotext permits.) In my opinion, KPresenter's documents are
not always printed but users would perhaps want to use some special
(decorative, mathematical...) fonts.

As for any real solution to the problem, yes, I consider it too to be a task
for KOffice 1.3. In any case, we will need a font substitution system (KDE
Bug #45753 is again an example for the need.)

> - --
> David FAURE, david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org

Have a nice day/evening/night!