List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KWord and bitmap fonts
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-07-23 7:35:55

On Tuesday 23 July 2002 01:06, Nicolas Goutte wrote:

> > > The point is that Clearlyu would be used for international characters
> > > not in the type 1 font.
> >
> > Oh? Why? How do I reproduce?
>
> Why? Because the type 1 font is typically ISO-8859-1. (Well at least the
> ones that I am using.) So the range outside ISO-8859-1 is composed by QT
> with the help of other fonts. However on a typical
> (old/default/non-TrueType) XFree system, the only Unicode font is Clearlyu,
> which is a bitmap font!

I'm not sure I follow you.. Qt does not use these ISO encodings anymore from
Qt3 forward. Plus that Qt refuses to print bitmapped fonts I believe this can
never be true.
I must again ask you to base your statements on actual fact and give me a way
to reproduce.

> (Sure, you will never be able to see any problem with any TrueType font, as
> a TrueType font is automatically an Unicode font.)

Hmm? And yesterday you could not even use TTF fonts :)
Above you said that the only unicode font was Clearlyu so this contradicts
each other as well.
In fact any font has a number of characters implemented. There is no font in
the whole world that implements the whole unicode standard. Therefor you will
always select fonts to print the chars you want. If I type a character the
font does not have I get a little square. Qt does not automatically select
another font for that character for me.

> > > When you will print, as it is a bitmap font, you will get all the
> > > problems that you try to avoid to have. Explain that to a normal
> > > user...
> >
> > I hope we are both working toward a solution, this above sentence seems
> > soo much like an attack on the way we print WYSIWYG :(
>
> I do not see any. You will need the international characters from
> somewhere.

> That is one reason why I always thought that bitmap fonts were needed in
> KWord (I should perhaps have more emphasized why I thought so.)

But we can only use them for on screen, so its not really a solution.
And there are lots of type1 fonts that implement cyrillic and other 'strange'
characters.
Take a look at
	http://www.koffice.org/kword/pics/kword-arabic.png
those are all Type1 fonts.  Debian has a big set of these, and I believe that
other distros have those as well. (I remeber SuSE 6.2 having a big set of
Chinese fonts)

> (I suppose that rasterizing the KWord document and sending it as image to
> the printer is *not* a solution.)

Hehe; no. I don't want to re-implement the stuff Qt and KDEPRint allready did
just to use fonts which will look jaggy on paper anyway.
Again; there are fonts for non-latin1 characters. There is a good way to print
those fonts. So there is simply no need to ever use bitmapped fonts.

--
Thomas Zander                                           zander@planescape.com
                                                 We are what we pretend to be