List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KWord and bitmap fonts
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-07-22 23:06:39

On Montag, 22. Juli 2002 23:21, Thomas Zander wrote:

> On Monday 22 July 2002 23:10, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > On Montag, 22. Juli 2002 09:50, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > > On Monday 22 July 2002 01:54, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> >
> > Well, I have understood a little more why bitmap fonts cannot be printed.

> > > What problem? Its a non-vector font, thus I can't use it. What is your
> > > point? Did you notice that KFontInstaller also does not show it?
> >
> > The point is that Clearlyu would be used for international characters not
> > in the type 1 font.
>
> Oh? Why? How do I reproduce?

Why? Because the type 1 font is typically ISO-8859-1. (Well at least the ones
that I am using.) So the range outside ISO-8859-1 is composed by QT with the
help of other fonts. However on a typical (old/default/non-TrueType) XFree
system, the only Unicode font is Clearlyu, which is a bitmap font!

(Sure, you will never be able to see any problem with any TrueType font, as a
TrueType font is automatically an Unicode font.)

> > When you will print, as it is a bitmap font, you will get all the
> > problems that you try to avoid to have. Explain that to a normal user...
>
> I hope we are both working toward a solution, this above sentence seems soo
> much like an attack on the way we print WYSIWYG :(

I do not see any. You will need the international characters from somewhere.

That is one reason why I always thought that bitmap fonts were needed in KWord
(I should perhaps have more emphasized why I thought so.)

(I suppose that rasterizing the KWord document and sending it as image to the
printer is *not* a solution.)

> > > Still no answer what your point is..
> > > Where in the WYSIWYG printing are bitmapped fonts used?
> >
> > You can select bitmap fonts in KPresenter! (So again you should have
> > problems at print, if I follow what you are telling me: bitmap
> > font==problem at print.)
>
> Please tell me how to reproduce how I can get bitmapped fonts in a WYSIWYG
> widget!
> Just saying so does not make it any clearer. Examples PLEASE!

Well, I do not see any problems to select bitmap fonts (even in KWord before
the GUI change, except in the style manager.)

Just select for example "helvetica", "lucida", "clearlyu", "times" or "symbol"
in any font dialog. All are XFree default fonts (see also sections 3.1 and
3.2 of http://www.xfree.org/4.2.0/fonts3.html#10 )

> - --
> Thomas Zander

Have a nice day/evening/night!