List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Library for MS Word filters (again)
From:       Ariya Hidayat <ariya () tf ! itb ! ac ! id>
Date:       2002-07-11 14:07:31

This is as a follow-up to TJ's recent post in koffice, as I believe it's
better to go to koffice-devel first. Feel free to cross-post.

Although T.J mentions wv2 and POI, I think we should not forget our
_current_ MS Word filter. As Shaheed pointed out, it's already in a good
shape and only needs improvements to make it someday on par with OO or at
least Abiword's wv.

Another issue that needs to be examined is embedding support. AFAIK our
current filter framework support embedding quite well, i.e Excel inside
Word will be KSpread inside KWord, CMIIW. How is the status of such
embedding support in POI (HSSF and HDF) ?

OTOH, I'm quite glad this topic is heated again :-) To Werner, even though
the code wasn't changed in the last month, at least there's little
activites (better than none). Like what has been mentioned, it's also
quite annoying to improve Excel filters but the certain features in
KSpread (such as functions) are missing which should explain why somehow I
moved to "fix" KSpread first.

I hope I'll be free next month and then able to keep my promise about (yet
another) OLE storage library for KOffice. I believe libole2 will die soon,
Jody Goldberg (from Gnumeric's fame) develops libgsf as a replacement for
libole2 (among others) as he stated in gnome-office mailing list. Gnumeric
and Abiword slowly switch to libgsf.

Just my 2 cents.

Ariya