List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KSpread formulas
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-05-20 18:59:47

On Monday 20 May 2002 12:31, Ariya Hidayat wrote:
> (1) making a cell value stored in KSpreadValue class. KSpreadCell is quite
> a mess with value handling and so on. and we don't need integer, all
> number are just numbers (should be double)

I'm not sure this is a wise move.
4 == 4 for integers,
but sometimes 4.0 != 4.0 for floating point values.
You get trouble when trying to use floating point numbers for ints .... unless
maybe you do a correct rounding for the ints (not just truncation).

The idea of KSpreadValue sounds good though, mainly for more code
modularity. But I suggest to use an union for the different possible kinds
of values - or a QVariant.

> (2) define 'format', i.e how the cell value should be displayed, e.g
> precision, currency, and so on. should be put in class KSpreadFormat. and
> this is likely to be shared among. cells will "apply" a prefined/custom
> format. improving cell formatting with Excel would be possible. OTOH it
> also reduces KSpreadCell again.
>
> (3) define 'layout', which somehow already there (KSpreadLayout). layout
> defines apperance of the cell, e.g border, color, font, etc. think of
> value vs format+layout like document vs view.

Sounds good.

> (4) if we have (2) and (3), it should be difficult to have 'style'.

It shouldn't, I suppose you mean ;-)

For the sharing I suggest a quick look at KoTextFormat and KoTextFormatCollection
(the idea of the dict, the key that represents the whole format as a string, etc.).
The only tricky bit is the ref-counting (because it's not automatic, it's explicit
in the code using KoTextFormat...).

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/