List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Some thoughts...
From:       Michael Beurskens <beursken () uni-duesseldorf ! de>
Date:       2002-04-30 18:01:48

I've just started looking at kOffice and I am amazed by the current
status of the project.

But I have some problems in differing the specific use of the
applications:

1) kWord is a frame-based Word-processor
However, it lacks many of the more advanced DTP-features available even
in MS Word, like e.g. drawing, rotating text-frames. In addition several
basic word-processing features (footnotes!) are missing.

2) kPresenter is a presentation-software
It has all the drawing-features and text-frame rotation missing in
kWord. It also shares autocorrection, text-styles ("Stylist") and most
of the other word-processing features with KWord.

3) Karbon14 and Kontour are drawing-packages.
Like kPresenter they have drawing-tools. Kontour is multi-page-based and
insofar able to do much of the things KWord (as a frame-based WP) and
KPresenter (for non-screen-presentations) can do.

It is rather evident that about 60-70% of the features are common to
multiple programs. When trying to do simple DTP-work the choice will be
rather hard.

Someone wanting to do - say - an advertisment-flyer will have a
hard-choice as he may use 4 programs to do so (in Windows he would
propably use Word).

My question therefore is: Should it be tried to add drawing-features to
KWord (which is rather useful, especially when importing Word-documents)
or should all DTP-related work be done using some other app? In addition
rotating text-frames would be intriguing... I would have a look into the
code and see where reuse is possible, if people could agree on this.

I would love to see a simple home-use DTP-program (think: MS Publisher
2002) on Linux...

Michael