List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: New KoPicture code
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-03-11 17:41:46

On Sunday 10 March 2002 21:08, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> I have finished the first code for KoPicture.
>
> I have the code for lib/kofficecore and for KWord. KPresenter is not touched
> and can still work with KoImage/KoClipart.
>
> My question now is how to put in CVS.
>
> Does someone want to see the code first? (patch for lib/kofficecore: 50KB
> uncompressed, 10KB bzipped, patch for KWord is much smaller but I have it
> against an one week old version (at least for now.)
>
> I also know that David Faure prefers when files created from other files are
> not added like that in CVS.

Well, if most of the file's original code is still there, copying on the server
allows to preserve history. But for KoImage/KoClipart there isn't much to
preserve anyway. And copying on the server is easier if done before the hacking,
not after. Let's skip it for this time, feel free to commit - well, after fixing the
resizing problem mentionned below ;)

> New features of the code:
> - the data of the loaded file is kept with the image, and it is this data
> that is saved. This is important for EPS, JPEG and SVG; for EPS, due to the
> Postscript part; for JPEG because an image compressed two times (at two
> qualities) can look very ugly; for SVG, because QPicture does not understand
> everything.
Good move.

> - possibility to create other classes for other type of picture like WMF (the
> outside class remains KoPicture!)
> - fixed a few drawing bugs. The drawing is now make systematically from the
> loaded (called "original") image. There is no more the consecutive  resizing
> of the image.
Ouch. I'm not sure this is a good move. The idea of resizing the image to the
current screen size was that it makes it much faster to redraw. If the image
has to be resized during every paint event, things are going to get much much
slower. Please readd the whole logic for keeping a cached resized version
of the image, for the painting.
Note that resizing was never "consecutive", the image was always resized
from the original image, that was the whole point of this class. Please consider
reverting to the initial behavior for this.

> - Again QPicture compatibility with KOffice 1.1.x
Good.

> What has not changed:
> - KPresenter
> - The difference between image and clipart in KWord
Can easily be changed afterwards if the underlying class is the same.

> Know bugs:
> - kword/kwtextimage.* has surely been broken (and I cannot test, as I have
> not file with this sort of images.)
Yeah, it's not possible to create any of those anymore anyway, it's an old
koffice-1.0 thing (and 1.1-beta1 or so). I wanted to create some automated
conversion to a frame containing an image, but time passing I think we might
just throw this away.

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/