List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: shift+enter in kword
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-02-28 21:34:15

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 10:02:09PM +0100, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 February 2002 21:10, Krister Wicksell Eriksson wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Wednesday 27 February 2002 20:53, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > > Thank you for your work!
> > >
> > > If I have understood your code well, you use 0x0b as forced line break.
> > >
> > > Could you tell why you have prefer 0x0b to something else like 0x0a (LINE
> > > FEED)?
> >
> > 0x0b is used by winword so it now works when importing doc-files. I think
> > 0x0b is a vertical tab.
> >
> > > And by the way: you cannot have 0x0b in XML.
> >
> > What is the best way to fix this?
>
> I am not sure how. (I am just talking about the file format, not the internal
> representation in KWord/kotext)
>
> The easiest would be probably to use 0x0a, but we must be careful that
> QDomDocument::setContent does not eat it, especially at the start or at the
> end of a paragraph (In theory/SGML, at start it belongs to the opening tag
> and at end to the closing tag.)
In XML everything between an open and a close tag will be used. We encode in
utf-8 which means that we don't have a limit on the byte value we can use. so
your clame is nonsense.
The 0xa0 char (which is not encoded except for the utf-8 default way) works quite
well.. (Is used for non breaking space since a week or so, so maybe you want to
use that in the filters :)

> There is also the character 0x2028 (line separator). It has been declared as
> "not suitable" for XML ( http://www.w3.org/TR/unicode-xml/ .) However the
> recommendation does not apply "for blind data transport or similar cases."
> Are we in such a case?
w3 does not define the XML standard; you mix them up quite a lot. They define
the standard that uses XML for hypertext layout. In other words XHTML.
Read www.xml.com for more info on XML.

> So may be that we only have the choice of using a <FORMAT> element with a new

No need; its not markup either, well is it :)