List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: shift+enter in kword
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-02-28 22:56:38

On Thursday 28 February 2002 14:31, Krister Wicksell Eriksson wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Wednesday 27 February 2002 21:08, David Faure wrote:
> > On Wednesday 27 February 2002 19:29, Krister Wicksell Eriksson wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Wanted to learn some of the kword code so I have started trying to
> > > implement line break (shift+enter) cause that is a thing I really miss in
> > > kword.
> > >
> > > Have attached a patch that I be happy if someone could take a look at and
> > > give some feedback.
> >
> > Wow! This is really great job. I'm amazed, you seem to have grasped the
> > text formatter quickly, as complex as it is ;)))
> >
> > I like the formatting-chars drawing change very much. The UI part is fine
> > too, no problem.
> >
> > I'm surprised by the patch to the formatter though. It's already supposed
> > to have support for line breaks, by using the character '\n' in the string
> > (and enabling something like setAllowNewLine() in paragraphs). This comes
> > from the original Qt classes, and was never tested/used in KWord. Did you
> > try it out and determined you'd prefer writing separate code for this, or
> > did you miss that code ? If it works and it's the same functionality, I'd
> > rather use it than add special support for 0x0b with its own code.
>
> Have rewritten my patch with setNewLinesAllowed(TRUE) and'\n' insted. Don't
> know if this is any better. Had to change QTextParag::paint() so it now sends
> '\n' to drawParagString(), if not there is no way (at least that I know of)
> to know where to draw the line breaks in drawFormattingChars(). The thing is
> if there are only a line break on a line no char from that line i sent to
> drawFormattingChars().

This looks really excellent.

About the change in ::paint() : it's probably the last method of the original QRichText
that we're still using for painting, since kotextdocument and kotextparag have
their own methods for all the rest now, anyway. So we might want to move this
to kotextparag anyway, for consistency ... (I have started to work on a script
that "transforms" the QRT classes into the Ko classes, adding our changes,
instead of inheriting from the Q classes ... to make the whole design less confusing).

After testing, the main bug that meets the eye is the cutting of the formatting
characters, they're not completely drawn - I know it doesn't come from this patch,
it was already doing that since the WYSIWYG changes. Just something
you might want to look at if you don't know what to do next ;)

I have committed this patch (and added an entry in kword/CHANGES). Thanks a lot!
BTW if you want a CVS account, don't hesitate to send me an encrypted
password ;)

> > David, really glad to see more and more KWord contributions coming in ;)
>
> Hope this mail will reach the list...got a return on the last mail I sent
> saying that it had to be approved by a moderator cause I was not on the
> list...but I am.

koffice-devel (like kde-core-devel) has a list of allowed poster, independent
from subscribers. I added you (and the other new contributors) to that list.

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/