List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: kword outline mode
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-02-28 16:58:32

On Thursday 28 February 2002 15:57, Dag wrote:
> On Thursday 28 February 2002 01:00, David Faure wrote:
> >[snip]
> > I don't think anyone else is working on it, and it's certainly
> > needed ;) Note that the bar on the left (behind that splitter(*))
> > has an outline view of the document already, using a treeview,
> > though. It's not exactly as seeing the real headers in their real
> > font, but it already provides quite a similar functionality in a
> > much easier way.... which makes me wonder if anyone needs the real
> > outline mode in addition?
>
> I find a sidebar more help when _reading_  while the outline mode is
> more usefull during _writing_ of a document. I find it disturbing to
> have to jump around in a structure when my brain is demanding that I
> focus on producing content :)

Makes sense.

> [snip]
> > IMHO, it makes sense, in word processor mode at least, to hide
> > everything that isn't the main text frameset. That's what I already
> > started doing for the TextViewMode, that simpler viewmode that
> > simply shows the text of the main frameset, but which I never got
> > around finishing ... maybe doing that one first would be a good
> > starting point?
>
> Yeahh, well, I activated text mode and it absolutely looked like it
> was not finished :) but I have a number of other quirks in my system
> so I'm not sure if it's the code or something with my system or both.

Heh, I said it was not finished!
It definitely requires much work, including new virtual methods in
KWViewMode to make much more stuff "configurable" by the viewmode.

> > In fact either the outline mode is an extension of the plain text
> > mode, showing only the main textframeset, or I suppose that one
> > could also do an outline mode that keeps the frames where they are,
> > i.e. this mode simply "folds" the text under its headers, but keeps
> > the frame placement etc. Would that be of any use ?
>
> Note sure what you mean, but the way I was thinking was to use the
> visible flags for text parags, framsets etc. so that visible data is
> 'packed' when drawn and from a view point of view, not visible data
> is not there. I had no intention to do anything with the frames if
> not necessary. So I think I have been thinking along your second
> alternative.

I see. That sounds good to me (you're lucky that QRichText gained invisible
paragraphs recently, this wasn't available 1 month ago ;) .
But I think this is totally unrelated to KWViewMode.
This should be done as a separate setting, a bit like "view formatting characters"
is an option on its own. It changes the way text is drawn, but not the way
frames and pages are laid out.
And by making it separate from viewmodes, it makes it possible to
combine "outline mode" with any viewmode, e.g. seeing the outline
in the plain text mode, once it's finished.

Of course the difficult bit is that folding the text leads to a different text
layout (less pages required, etc.). I'm not sure how you can prevent this
from actually deleting/creating pages when folding/unfolding paragraphs.....

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/