List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: kword outline mode
From:       Dag <danders () get2net ! dk>
Date:       2002-02-28 14:57:42

On Thursday 28 February 2002 01:00, David Faure wrote:
>[snip]
> I don't think anyone else is working on it, and it's certainly
> needed ;) Note that the bar on the left (behind that splitter(*))
> has an outline view of the document already, using a treeview,
> though. It's not exactly as seeing the real headers in their real
> font, but it already provides quite a similar functionality in a
> much easier way.... which makes me wonder if anyone needs the real
> outline mode in addition?

I find a sidebar more help when _reading_  while the outline mode is
more usefull during _writing_ of a document. I find it disturbing to
have to jump around in a structure when my brain is demanding that I
focus on producing content :)

[snip]
> IMHO, it makes sense, in word processor mode at least, to hide
> everything that isn't the main text frameset. That's what I already
> started doing for the TextViewMode, that simpler viewmode that
> simply shows the text of the main frameset, but which I never got
> around finishing ... maybe doing that one first would be a good
> starting point?

Yeahh, well, I activated text mode and it absolutely looked like it
was not finished :) but I have a number of other quirks in my system
so I'm not sure if it's the code or something with my system or both.

> In fact either the outline mode is an extension of the plain text
> mode, showing only the main textframeset, or I suppose that one
> could also do an outline mode that keeps the frames where they are,
> i.e. this mode simply "folds" the text under its headers, but keeps
> the frame placement etc. Would that be of any use ?

Note sure what you mean, but the way I was thinking was to use the
visible flags for text parags, framsets etc. so that visible data is
'packed' when drawn and from a view point of view, not visible data
is not there. I had no intention to do anything with the frames if
not necessary. So I think I have been thinking along your second
alternative.

[snip]

Dag