List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: kword outline mode
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-02-28 0:00:00

On Wednesday 27 February 2002 08:51, Dag wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been dabling with an outline mode for kword.
Wow, what an incoming flow of contributors those days, this is really great ;)

> After a lot of trial and even more errors it starts to look like
> it could become something usefull. Before I put more effort into
> this though, I would like some feedback to see if I am on the right
> track or not.
> First, is someone else working on the same thing, or
> is there some reason this should not be done? (now, ever)

I don't think anyone else is working on it, and it's certainly needed ;)
Note that the bar on the left (behind that splitter(*)) has an outline view
of the document already, using a treeview, though. It's not exactly as seeing
the real headers in their real font, but it already provides quite a similar
functionality in a much easier way.... which makes me wonder if anyone
needs the real outline mode in addition?

(*) the big problem with that splitter is that it's "hidden", very hard to find,
I think. A very easy patch would be to add a "View sidebar" toggle action
in the menus, much like KPresenter's (please check the way it's named there),
to hide/show that left panel.

> My intention is to use headings as markers, so that it is possible
> to hide/show text 'below' a heading (more/less as msword).
> I think it should be possible to handle text and all types of
> _inline_ frames this way, with a possible exception of object frames?
> I have no idea how to handle fixed frames, headers, footers etc except
> hide them in outline mode. Anyone?
IMHO, it makes sense, in word processor mode at least, to hide everything
that isn't the main text frameset. That's what I already started doing for the TextViewMode,
that simpler viewmode that simply shows the text of the main frameset, but which
I never got around finishing ... maybe doing that one first would be a good starting
point?

In fact either the outline mode is an extension of the plain text mode, showing
only the main textframeset, or I suppose that one could also do an outline mode
that keeps the frames where they are, i.e. this mode simply "folds" the text under
its headers, but keeps the frame placement etc. Would that be of any use ?

> Footnotes? Don't know.
Those need to be implemented first :}

> This would IMHO constitute a basic (but usefull) function.
> Future extensions I can think of is to handle references (links)
> to same or other document in the same way as a heading.
>
> This viewmode is a bit more komplex than the existing as it needs to
> handle key press events, mouse press events, RMB menu extension, ...
> which means that the viewmode interface needs to be extended.
> Is this ok or are there better ways?
I was indeed expecting that much more would be added to the viewmode interface,
indeed, to support such different viewmodes.

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/