List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice filter changes
From:       Werner Trobin <trobin () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-03 7:41:17

Nicolas Goutte wrote:

> On Wednesday 02 January 2002 08:32, Werner Trobin wrote:
> > Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > ::snip::
> > >
> > > I would not mind to port the (KWord's) filters on which I am working:
> > > - HTML export
> > > - AbiWord import
> > > - AbiWord export
> > > - ASCII import
> > > - ASCII export
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > I already did a minimalistic "make it work" port, but all the
> > filters which use libexport could make use of some more features
> > of the new API (e.g. use storageFile() instead of messing with
> > temp files). I didn't do that, yet, so there's still some code
> > which can be cleaned up/improved. It would be very nice if you'd
> > find the time to do that. Please report problems, and ask me if
> > the API is strange to you, it's just the first "draft" :)
>
> Good! I will look at it in the next few days.
>
> I find it nice that a filter can now return more than just true or false.
>
> However, personally, I have some problems with the name "StupidError". I
> think that a name like "GenericError" (or "OtherError") would have been
> clearer.

Feel free to change/add/remove items of that enum :)
I just didn't spend a lot of time thinking about those error states
and rather tried to get it working. Any corrections are highly welcome :)

> Perhaps you should add something like "ParsingError" for a parsing error
> (QDomDocument::setContent returning false.)
>
> Additionally, I am not sure if returning "StupidError" when a user cancels a
> dialog is right. (I suppose that it means that the user will see another
> dialog box after cancelling.)

The error handling is far from perfect, right now I just check whether
it's OK or not. This has to be cleaned up as soon as some other stuff
(like documents, embedding,...) works.

Let's hope I find some more spare time today,
Ciao,
Werner