List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice filter changes
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-01-02 20:49:55

On Wednesday 02 January 2002 08:32, Werner Trobin wrote:
> Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> ::snip::
> > > 3) Port all the filters. If you want to help out with porting
> > >    filters please write a short mail to tell us which filter
> > >    you plan to port to avoid duplicated work.
> > >    "Porting" sounds like a lot of work, but for most of the
> > >    filters it will be trivial.
> > >    For examples how it can be done please wait for my first commits
> > >    in that area (soon to come).
> >
> > I would not mind to port the (KWord's) filters on which I am working:
> > - HTML export
> > - AbiWord import
> > - AbiWord export
> > - ASCII import
> > - ASCII export
>
> Hi!
>
> I already did a minimalistic "make it work" port, but all the
> filters which use libexport could make use of some more features
> of the new API (e.g. use storageFile() instead of messing with
> temp files). I didn't do that, yet, so there's still some code
> which can be cleaned up/improved. It would be very nice if you'd
> find the time to do that. Please report problems, and ask me if
> the API is strange to you, it's just the first "draft" :)

Good! I will look at it in the next few days.

I find it nice that a filter can now return more than just true or false.

However, personally, I have some problems with the name "StupidError". I
think that a name like "GenericError" (or "OtherError") would have been
clearer.

Perhaps you should add something like "ParsingError" for a parsing error
(QDomDocument::setContent returning false.)

Additionally, I am not sure if returning "StupidError" when a user cancels a
dialog is right. (I suppose that it means that the user will see another
dialog box after cancelling.)

> Thanks in advance,
> Werner
>
> P.S.: I'll try to make the KoDocument based filters work today.

Happy New Year to everybody!