List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: fonts
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2001-11-19 21:19:42

On Sunday, 18. November 2001 21:30, Thomas Zander wrote:
> Hi, I spent the better part of my sunday working with fonts. I am afraid I
> did not fix the bugs we have been seeing with too small fonts in KWord, but
> I do think I found the cause to the problems we had. Here are my results;
>
> I have the odd behavior that starting KWord (any program actually) from
> kicker I get different fonts then when starting from a konsole. (anyone
> else seeing this?) This probably has to do with the fact that QT is loaded
> and never unloaded in the kicker session; so something goes wrong when I
> start another KWord, which uses another QT instance. (what do you mean;
> shared libs...)
> When starting with "kdeinit kword" it replaces the kicker version with an
> incorrect version as well.
>
> Anyway; starting KWord from kicker I get
> QFontLoader: getting font name for family Helvetica
> QFontLoader: putting
> '-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--14-140-75-75-p-82-iso10646-1' (60) into
> name dict QFont::load: using name
> '-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--14-140-75-75-p-82-iso10646-1'
>
> starting from konsole I get:
> QFontLoader: getting font name for family Helvetica
> QFontLoader: putting 'Nimbus Sans
> L-10:style=Regular:slant=0:weight=100:pixelsize=13.8798:encoding=iso10646-1
>:core=False:antialias=True:index=0:outline=True:scalable=True:rgba=2:render=
>True:minspace=False' (182) into name dict

Just an idea: does Konsole use font substitution? And are font substitutions
QT-wide or program-based?

(Well, perhaps we could use font subsitution in KWord too! However, I am not
sure about the side effects!)

> (...)
>
> Ok, I thought that means there is a bug in QT! Well, Perhaps not; the
> bitmapped fonts on my system are served by X. The appropriate lines in my
> XFConfig are similar to
>         FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
> And that :unscaled at the end is our buglet; it means that X will never
> ever scale the bitmapped fonts in that directory, so requesting a 100 pt
> font will return the largest bitmapped font, something like 24pt for
> example.. I removed the :unscaled and now I have removed the problem of
> tiny little fonts in KWord.

I have again played with the font path in my /etc/XF86Config.

If I leave only ":unscaled" font paths for the bitmapped fonts, I get at 100%
zoom the behaviour that I had with QT3 beta6 at 500% zoom.

The fonts are a few pixel high at 100% zoom and at 500% you can only see the
half bottom of the characters (like what I had seen in QT3 beta6 with big
fonts at 500%.)

What changes is that the whole width of the characters seems to be displayed
and that the characters are interlaced with each others. Descents are
(nearly) completely missing (I suppose that everything under the base line is
missing.)

> (...)

Have a nice day/evening/night!