List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: working with Kivio
From:       "Kyle R . Burton" <mortis () voicenet ! com>
Date:       2001-09-07 13:15:47

> We are going to offer for sale a Kivio Stencil Builder, probably next
> week.  It has documentation and everything.  Price will be $49.95 and you
> can build stencils to your hearts content.

Do any of the current stencil sets (like the UML set) use anything more
than just 'text' properties?  For example, with Dia, the UML widgets
allow properties appropriate to the UML widgets - if the widget
represents a class, then you can add attributes (member variables) and
methods (even specifying public, private, or protected, as well as the
arguments and return types).  Do the more advanced stencil sets include
(or allow for) this kind of per widget customization?

> In terms of the customizable behavior, that was built into it with Python
> and then a bunch of stuff got moved around in KOffice and I don't know if
> the ability is still there.  We haven't documented it yet or built any
> examples yet on the technology.  Our biggest problem now is that KOffice
> seems to have been updated in CVS to Qt3 beta4 and now nothing works at all
> (I'm told) so we are a bit stymied at the moment.  I'm not sure why this
> was done prior to the final release of Qt3, but it makes it very hard to
> try and do any additional work at the moment.

When you say you haven't documented it yet, does that mean public
documentation or in the documentation that comes with the commercial
product you mentioned above?

Is there anywhere where the scripting interface (Python) that you
mentioned is documented or explained?  You've said that you haven't
built any examples on the technology - not even simple tests?  I
appreciate that the Kompany's has basically gifted Kivio to Koffice and
the community, and that they deserve to be compensated for their work.
I am willing to purchase either the product, stencil sets, or
documentation, but I have a responsibility to my employer to make sure
that as a tool, it will solve the issue we're buying it for.  What we
need is a diagramming tool that we can use to represent data flow
diagrams.  Where the diagrams will be used as input to software that
will execute them.  Starting with something like Kivio, or Dia will
hopefully save us alot of work.

Thank you for your time,
Kyle R. Burton

If you do not get it from yourself,