List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: kword printing .....
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-07-05 10:28:26

On Wednesday 04 July 2001 19:13, Thorsten Schnebeck wrote:
|   Am Mittwoch, 4. Juli 2001 14:06 schrieb Vadim Plessky:
|
|   Yes, it's a Serif font on screen here, too.
|   The strange pinting is gone, still problems with "magic" charaters...

It's a question of encodings.
You may want to update to CVS (I am running Beta3) - David Faure made some
patch to fix that.
AFAIK by default KWord was printing in "Latin1" encoding.
Now you can select font+encoding in Font Selection dialog, and this encoding
will be respected in printed doc.

|   > Print.ps generated by printing this doc here has:
|   > %%DocumentFonts: NimbusRomNo9L-Regu
|
|   here when load the doc and hit "print", no changes in the doc:
|   %%DocumentFonts: TimesNewRomanPSMT

Yes, this means your KWord uses Times New Roman (from Monotype/MS Win) to
print this doc.
I haven't succeed to print someting in KWord in Times New Roman.
I believe it tis font conversion issue. (as Arial is printing ok, but it
doesn't have serifs)
May be, Times New Roman glyphs are *too complex* for Ghostscript? :-)
It's is not completely a joke. We can experience a GS bug here.
Unfortunately there is no response on my mail to bug-gs@ list.

|   > | the stylist to something else and the back to Arial, I see the font
|   > | in the toolbar and printing is better - but printing stops after
|   > | "Miscellaneous support". Next one after the tab is a "messy"
|   > | character: KWord shows only a
|   >
|   > This is known bug in *printing of TrueType fonts*.
|   > I guess your Arial is TrueType, right?
|
|   I test this with StarOffice fonts also - same effect, are they TT or T1?

You mean, fonts coming with StarOffice?
I hope StarOffice has nothing to do with either TT or T1.  :-)

Can you look at file extensions of fonts coming with StarOffice - are they
.pfa, .pfb, .ttf or something else?
I have only OpneOffice here, coming with LM 8.0, but not sure if it has any
fonts inside.
At a moment, I don't have disk space to install Open Office.

|   But I see the "messy" characters on screen, changing the charset has no
|   effect.
|
|   > (see thread "KWord and printing documents with truetype fonts" on
|   > kde-devel started 19.06.01 by Nils Holland)
|   >
|   > As far as I know, it is related to either
|   > * PostScript code generated by QT (QT problem)
|   > or
|   > * TrueType to PostScript font conversion
|
|   Hmmmmmm, QT's Type-3 font integration makes problems. They should only
| apply the font list.

Yes and No.
It depends on what you want to achive.
There are good reasons why you may want to embed font - just when you send it
to someone else, and that person doesn't have your fonts.
But, for general office use I think it's better to have plain PostScript
output without embedded fonts. It's faster, much faster both for printing
process and Preview in KOffice.

|   > Thorsten, can you try Mike's test doc with "Nimbus Sans L" or "Nimbus
|   > Roman No9"?
|   > They are AFAIK part of GhostScript 7.0 package, so you should have
|   > them.
|
|   You know my printing system, Vadim :-))
|
|   Does not work "out of the box" AKA KDE font installer, my X is a
|   TrueType-only system since ... ehm ... can't remember ;-)

You may try to add fonts from GS to XftConfig and XFS's config.
It's nice to try and see if this fixes problems described above (tip: it
should!)

|   Bye and happy bug hunting
|
|     Thorsten

Bye!