List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: kword printing .....
From:       Thorsten Schnebeck <thorsten.schnebeck () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-07-04 19:13:35

Am Mittwoch, 4. Juli 2001 14:06 schrieb Vadim Plessky:
> On Sunday 01 July 2001 21:43, Thorsten Schnebeck wrote:
> |   When I opened Mikes document  it shows _no_ font in the toolbar, I see
> |   standard style but no font (at 14pt) If I go into the stylist, there is
>
> There is no default font in this doc, indeed.
> My Stylist is showing Arial for "Standard" style as well.
> But, as I see doc on screen - it is formatted in Serif font (like Times)

Some compilations of KOffice-CVS later ;-)

Yes, it's a Serif font on screen here, too.
The strange pinting is gone, still problems with "magic" charaters...

> Print.ps generated by printing this doc here has:
> %%DocumentFonts: NimbusRomNo9L-Regu

here when load the doc and hit "print", no changes in the doc:
%%DocumentFonts: TimesNewRomanPSMT

> | the stylist to something else and the back to Arial, I see the font in
> | the toolbar and printing is better - but printing stops after
> | "Miscellaneous support". Next one after the tab is a "messy" character:
> | KWord shows only a
>
> This is known bug in *printing of TrueType fonts*.
> I guess your Arial is TrueType, right?

I test this with StarOffice fonts also - same effect, are they TT or T1?
But I see the "messy" characters on screen, changing the charset has no
effect.

> (see thread "KWord and printing documents with truetype fonts" on kde-devel
> started 19.06.01 by Nils Holland)
>
> As far as I know, it is related to either
> * PostScript code generated by QT (QT problem)
> or
> * TrueType to PostScript font conversion

Hmmmmmm, QT's Type-3 font integration makes problems. They should only apply
the font list.

> Thorsten, can you try Mike's test doc with "Nimbus Sans L" or "Nimbus Roman
> No9"?
> They are AFAIK part of GhostScript 7.0 package, so you should have them.

You know my printing system, Vadim :-))

Does not work "out of the box" AKA KDE font installer, my X is a
TrueType-only system since ... ehm ... can't remember ;-)

> I am working now on TrueType'ing those Nimbus fonts
> (they are GPL'ed, right? so I can do this without breaking any trademarks.
> By the way, if you have different information pls send it to me. fonts in
> [AFPL] GS 7.0 are the same as in [GNU/GPL] GS 6.51, AFAIK)
>
> I hope converted to TrueType font will be *easily-convertible* back to
> PostScript, so there should be no problems at all [even without fixing
> current printing bug].
> Well, it already works fine here, I just need to do some work on manual TTF
> hinting :-)

Bye and happy bug hunting

  Thorsten