List:       koffice
Subject:    RE: Hopeful suggestion for kword
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2001-04-25 15:30:19

Yes, but it makes it incompatible with most XML tools, which suppose that
formating is either automatic ( <?xml-stylesheet ),  in the tags (like the
"id", "class" and "style" attributes of XHTML with CSS)  or inline (like
for example <b> element in XHTML.)

Yes, KWord's maindoc.xml file is in XML, but not in a way that permits the
use of any extension of XML, like XSL for example.

The main problem are the "pos" and "len" attributes of <FORMAT>.
If a citation program for example, have to change a two letter sequence by
a six letter one, you have to change all <FORMAT> of that paragraph that
points at the first character of the two letter sequence or later. In
another word, you have to know exactly KWord's format, as this relationship
is not in KWord's DTD. (I am not meaning in the comments!)

Compare to the same in (X)HTML:

into

Here I have just to change the text, not any formating! I could even have
made it automaticly with a program so simple as sed.

And that is making citation programs that are not plugged in KWord so much
difficult to develop: you have to understand a big part of KWord's file
format to work correctly, not just the <TEXT> element.

Have a nice day/evening/night!