List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Hopeful suggestion for kword
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-04-25 16:04:22

On Wednesday 25 April 2001 16:30, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> Yes, but it makes it incompatible with most XML tools, which suppose that
> formating is either automatic ( <?xml-stylesheet ),  in the tags (like the
> "id", "class" and "style" attributes of XHTML with CSS)  or inline (like
> for example <b> element in XHTML.)
>
> Yes, KWord's maindoc.xml file is in XML, but not in a way that permits the
> use of any extension of XML, like XSL for example.
>
> The main problem are the "pos" and "len" attributes of <FORMAT>.
> If a citation program for example, have to change a two letter sequence by
> a six letter one, you have to change all <FORMAT> of that paragraph that
> points at the first character of the two letter sequence or later. In
> another word, you have to know exactly KWord's format, as this relationship
> is not in KWord's DTD. (I am not meaning in the comments!)

Yes... but is this really what you want to do ? Applying processor scripts
out of KWord ? I'm not sure I understand what exactly this is about, but
if it's indeed about inserting a citation... why not do that as a data-tool,
which can be run interactively ? This would lead to a better (much more
intuitive since graphical) user interface, and it would solve this problem
(of trying to hack into the kword file directly).