List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KDE web group?
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-01-10 19:43:23

Wednesday 10 January 2001 18:34, Thomas ΞΑΠΙΣΑΜ:
|   [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]
|   > ok you convinced me :)
|   > agreed
|   >
|   > We should really think about this..
|
|   I am the last to throw water on the fire, but would it be an idea to get
| the design and preferably a designer before you start asking people to
| join?
|
|   If you ask people to join and you have nothing to show, people will just
| walk away again, maybe permanent. This is the last thing you want.

I think content is more important then design or *designer*.
And, implementation itself is very important as well.
People read Slashdot because they can find interesting info on it - and they
agree to browse Slashdot's ugly pages for that.
Who will write pages for KOffice or KDE sites?  First-time users or
developers? You will get the same effect like now.

|   IMOHO all the current KDE sites look like a technical person made them,
| and none are good enough to be an example for all KDE websites. Therefor
| there is no loss in creating a good website (please do koffice ;) without
| asking people what work they have laying aroung.

Agree here.

|   At the risk of stepping on some toes, I believe the only thing that
| really lacks is a designer; A good photoshop wizard. HTML knowledge is
| irrelevant, we got plenty of that.

You need to give idea to such wizard.
Under *idea* I can think of Marketing Mix, for example. Or KDE Vision.
So, you need good marketing person first. Or Visionary. Second is pretty
hard...

|   Please consider this before making any leaps.
|
|   I am the 'official' person responsible for www.koffice.org (just a name,
| could not have done it without to many people to mention). I can say from
| experience that creating _a_ website is one thing, creating a _good_
| website is another.

Agree here as well.
Most sites are rather ugly _and_ load very slow.
Text version with heavy use of CSS is what we need. Graphics should be
reduced to minimum.
/unfortunately, Konqueror's support for CSS is still limited, and it's not an
option to use MS IE 5.x for browsing KDE sites  :-) /

FINAL NOTE:  you need marketing team first, technical & design team - second.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)