List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: an annoying kword issue
From:       dep <dennispowell () earthlink ! com>
Date:       2000-09-24 0:59:29

On Sat, 23 Sep 2000, John Califf wrote:

| I just checked the Kde Style Guidelines and replacing marked text
| when one types a new word isn't in there.  Is this standard?

it seems so -- i use it all the time, for instance, in kmail.

| dep - you use Kword a lot in your work as a hack journalist.  I
| have been working for the last week and a half on bugfixes and new
| coding for usability issues with KWord.  I'd be interested in a
| list of problems you might have with Kword regarding usability and
| essential features which might be missing. Make sure you have a
| recent version because some improvements have already been made in
| the last few days.

well, thanks, i guess.<g>

i'll grab and build new code as soon as i find a cvsup mirror that
works. (and as soon as i figure out why, since i installed the cable
modem, firewall, hub, and nic, every so often -- up to four or five
times a day -- during a data trandfer the machine either locks solid
or spontaneously reboots. very bad, and i can't for the life of me
figure out what could be causing it.)

| Things like navigating a document, scrolling, needed or missing
| menu items, mouse behavior, keyboard action and performance (speed)
| would interest me.  Especially things you think those who use word
| processors a lot would insist on to consider Kword a "professional"
| product or a replacement for their current word processor.

one thing i've noticed with code about 10 days old, and code before
that, is that when going to a new page (either at 150% 1024x768 or
200% 1280x1024), the text on the visible portion of the previous page
disappears, though scrolling up and down makes it return. not a
tremendously big deal, but it happens, though this may have already
been fixed.

as soon as i can get the source, i'll build something newer and try
it out. if worse comes to worst, i suppose i can anonymous cvs it --
does it rely on any updated libraries or anything, or can i get by
with 10-day-old stuff there?

--
dep