List:       koffice
Subject:    cvs diff question
From:       John Califf <jcaliff () usit ! net>
Date:       2000-09-18 22:12:23

To start a new thread fresh and get some answers:

I have made some changes to KWord based on snapshots, and tested the
changes. Now to use cvs I have checked out koffice using anon. cvs.
This created a koffice/ directory in my home directory with all the
koffice files and everything got installed from kde's cvs repository
fine.  I've done make -f Makefile.cvs and ./configure with prefix in the
usual /opt/kde2 (where the stuff based on very recent snapshots resides
already). As it takes several hours to build koffice on my system I will
run the make and install later tonight.

My question is this:

After I apply my changes to the stuff from cvs in koffice/ in my home
directory and re-make and test, how do I generate a cvs diff?  What do I
run the diff against?  I notice that some diff paramaters are in the
.cvsrc file in my home directory and assume that these will
automatically be applied.  Do I have to be logged in to kde's cvs to run
the diff?

I assume that what I should do is to cd into the desired directory, in
this case /home/me/koffice/kword and run the diff command as: cvs diff
while logged on the Kde's cvs repositiory.  Is this correct?  Will this
automatically output the diff to a file or do I need to redirect, and if
so what name should I give the diff file, which I will attach to another
email to this list to make everybody happy with complying with these
unexplained rule!