List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: cvs diff question
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-09-18 22:43:09

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, John Califf wrote :
>To start a new thread fresh and get some answers:
>
>I have made some changes to KWord based on snapshots, and tested the
>changes. Now to use cvs I have checked out koffice using anon. cvs.
>This created a koffice/ directory in my home directory with all the
>koffice files and everything got installed from kde's cvs repository
>fine.  I've done make -f Makefile.cvs and ./configure with prefix in the
>usual /opt/kde2 (where the stuff based on very recent snapshots resides
>already). As it takes several hours to build koffice on my system I will
>run the make and install later tonight.
>
>My question is this:
>
>After I apply my changes to the stuff from cvs in koffice/ in my home
>directory and re-make and test, how do I generate a cvs diff?  What do I
>run the diff against?  I notice that some diff paramaters are in the
>..cvsrc file in my home directory and assume that these will
>automatically be applied.  Do I have to be logged in to kde's cvs to run
>the diff?

logged ? Not really, you log only once in your whole life, to a cvs server.
But connected to the net, yes, you need to be.

>I assume that what I should do is to cd into the desired directory, in
>this case /home/me/koffice/kword and run the diff command as: cvs diff
>while logged on the Kde's cvs repositiory.  Is this correct?  Will this
>automatically output the diff to a file or do I need to redirect, and if
>so what name should I give the diff file, which I will attach to another
>email to this list to make everybody happy with complying with these
>unexplained rule!

You do need to redirect.

cvs diff > kword.diff        (for the whole directory)
or
cvs diff kword_view.cc > kword_view.cc.diff         (for just one file).

The naming of the diff really doesn't matter :)

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/