List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: SuSE 6.3???
From:       Andreas Lauser <and () PoWare ! master ! kde ! org>
Date:       2000-09-18 20:24:54

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, James \(Jim\) Hatridge wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, Werner Trobin wrote:
> > You need at least kdesupport and kdelibs. However, for a
> > really breathtaking KDE 2 experience I recommend installing
> > kdebase too ;)
>
> Well, I checked I've got kdelibs for KDE2. I could not find kdesupport, is
> it ksupp2.rpm?
>
> I have both the normal SuSE KDE and KDE2 running. But I still get the
> dep's errors. What now?

I've got SuSE 7.0 and for me KDE2 runs just fine (not true for the
distribution, as there are some problems with wwwoffle and linux 2.4, that
were not there in 6.4).

 Anyways if you've problems with rpm deps and you have the
kdelibs/support/base installed I'd try a 'rpm --no-deps koffice.rpm'. Of
course it is possible that some part's won't run, but it's woth a try...

> BTW, I really don't like KDE2. There are a couple of reasons.
>
> #1 they get rid of the bar with the running programs (don't know what you
> call it) I had it at the top of the screen and just clicked on it, no
> problem. I keep the bottom bar hidden. Now I have to use the bottom bar
> all the time on KDE2. ARHHHHH!!!

If I Understood you right, you mean the fact that the taskbar is embeded into
the panel by default. You can change this by starting the KDE Control center
and enabling the 'look&feel->panel->taskbar->run outside panel'  option. At
the same place you can also enable the autohide option for the panel/taskbar
(panel will disappear after mouse left it).

An other posibility would be to remove the taskbar from the panel and add
'Kaskbar' by right-clicking on some empty space in the panel and selecting
(add->applet->kaskbar).

I hope that will be close enought to your familiar KDE 1 look and feel :)

BTW: If you downloaded the 'official' SuSE 7.0 rpmst the
look&feel->panel->taskbar doesn't exist. You must download a current version
(Refering to the announcement Kandiate should be available for SuSE 6.4 and
7.0 on ftp.kde.org).

> #2 I run Linux on a AMD 468/100Mhz. On that KDE runs ok, but KDE2 I click
> on something and go get a beer. It's waaaay too slow, something needs to
> be done about that.

not for me. I've also antique hardware (P133, 64MB RAM, 128MB Swap), and
except for the startup KDE2 is nearly as fast as KDE1...

> #3 I'm building a Beowulf system using Mosix software. When I have Mosix
> running and start KDE2 it hangs the system so that all I can do is a hard
> reset. This does not happen with SuSE KDE. This alone will keep me from
> using KDE2. :(

AFAIK mosix has trouble with handling shared memory and some other IPC
issues. KDE2 uses these techniques much more than KDE 1 does. maybe that's
the reason for problems.

have a nice (hacking) night
  -- AND