List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: What will happen when... (KOffice)
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-06-28 12:12:54

On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 01:59:20PM +0200, jonathan wrote:
> I've a question about KOffice: When I import, say, a spread sheet from
> KSpread into a KWord document, and then change the spread sheet. What
> will happen?
This is very related to the current discussion about pictures.
It's exactly the same situation.

> - Will the spread sheet in the KWord document change too?
> - Will the spread sheet in KWord stay as it was, keeping the "old"
> version of the spread sheet?

At the moment, that's what will happen. The embedded object is an
object on its own, it doesn't know if it comes from a file or not,
nor which.

> - Will I have the possibility to choose between the things mentioned
> above?
That's what we are thinking of doing...

But it means that when saving the KWord document, the spreadsheet
isn't saved as part of that document. Read earlier posts (
http://lists.kde.org if you were not subscribed) for the advantages
and disadvantages of that... :)

> I think the third option is the best, but maybe one should have an
> option (in a Preferences dialog or something) to choose between the
> options. Do you know already? Is this a new idea maybe (I don't think
> so;-))? I didn't find something about this in the FAQ's.
>
> Jonathan Brugge <jonathan_brugge@hotmail.com>
>
> P.S. I'm sorry if my English isn't very good: I'm just 14 years old and
> live in Holland, so I don't speak English daily.

Your English is very good, don't worry.
14 years old ? Wow. A future KOffice developer ? :-)

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org