List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Problem with Kword inserting pictures
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-06-27 19:40:50

On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 09:27:48PM +0200, Thomas wrote:
> Let me give a fine example what our company uses framemaker for
>
> 1) We create a document of about 1000 pages in parts of about 200 pages.
AFAIK merging KWord documents (or #including other KWord documents) isn't
implemented either... except by copy and paste. But that's another matter
I guess :)

> This document contains a LOT of pictures, about 6 per page. It's a catalog
> for a mail-order company.
> The seperate documents all share a consistent markup where things like H1 etc
> are defined in one file. This means that changing that file the whole book
> changes.
>
> Looking at the previous example we must have a tar which contains all the images
> in their print resolution. Since our 18Gb disk was filled with these pictures...
>
> This is extreme I admit, but creating a document of considerable size because of
> pictures is not hard!

Yes.

> 2) In the print buisiness there are a lot of problems with graphic formats.
> As soon as Kword starts to interpret the picture it becomes non-interesting for
> professional printers. That is: in between software should not touch the picture
> data. That's why I want it to be external.
> In practise we would write photoshop EPS files which are directly inlined into the
> postscript and therefor never touched by the markup program.

KWord doesn't really touch the file, it only resizes the image if needed.
AFAIK the image that is saved to the disk (into the tar file) is exactly the initial one.
But I see your point.

> 3) I have a book of LOTS of pages (pure hypothetical here) on every page I have
> a picture with out logo. Now: do I include LOTS of logo's or LOTS of links to the
> logo ;-)

Wrong example. KWord (and KPresenter, at least) use implicit sharing internally.
If you insert the same image N times, or if you copy and paste it, or if you
make it part of the template for new pages, in all cases KWord will only store
(and save) ONE copy of the image.

> > > But I do agree on the sense that reading an image should standard be
> > > included, because the simple user would delete the image afterwards...
> > Yup. And the intermediately simple user would say "let's save space
> > by only 'linking' to the image" and then forget he did that and
> > give away the document with missing images.
>
> Then lets make that the difference between the DTP and the Word type of
> documents; in Word type of documents pictures are always included into the
> document, in DTP type you have the possibility to make a file external.

If you want. You're the KWord developer, not me :-)

Note: when I said that support for external stuff was there in kofficecore... that
was only about embedded documents (and was removed in the last cleanup - where were
you when we discussed that ? :-)) Well it should be easy to readd.).
But images and cliparts are not embedded documents, they are currently handled by
the app itself. An image collection class in kofficeui is still missing, in koffice.
We've been talking about it for quite some time now :-)
This class could take care of this issue of finding external pictures
(and asking the user what to do if the picture is missing, for instance).
No, I did not just volunteer. konqueror keeps me busy for 175% of my time already :-)

http://home.clara.net/faure/, http://www.konqueror.org/