List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Problem with Kword inserting pictures
From:       Thomas <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2000-06-27 19:27:48

Let me give a fine example what our company uses framemaker for

1) We create a document of about 1000 pages in parts of about 200 pages.
This document contains a LOT of pictures, about 6 per page. It's a catalog
for a mail-order company.
The seperate documents all share a consistent markup where things like H1 etc
are defined in one file. This means that changing that file the whole book
changes.

Looking at the previous example we must have a tar which contains all the images
in their print resolution. Since our 18Gb disk was filled with these pictures...

This is extreme I admit, but creating a document of considerable size because of
pictures is not hard!

2) In the print buisiness there are a lot of problems with graphic formats.
As soon as Kword starts to interpret the picture it becomes non-interesting for
professional printers. That is: in between software should not touch the picture
data. That's why I want it to be external.
In practise we would write photoshop EPS files which are directly inlined into the
postscript and therefor never touched by the markup program.

3) I have a book of LOTS of pages (pure hypothetical here) on every page I have
a picture with out logo. Now: do I include LOTS of logo's or LOTS of links to the
logo ;-)

> > But I do agree on the sense that reading an image should standard be
> > included, because the simple user would delete the image afterwards...
> Yup. And the intermediately simple user would say "let's save space
> by only 'linking' to the image" and then forget he did that and
> give away the document with missing images.

Then lets make that the difference between the DTP and the Word type of
documents; in Word type of documents pictures are always included into the
document, in DTP type you have the possibility to make a file external.