List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Error trying to save in any koffice application.
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-04-20 7:44:49

I wonder if I did a good thing by using KIO in KOffice for saving
even locally...

On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 12:03:17AM -0700, William Braun wrote:

> I have installed the following packages from ftp.nebsllc.com/kde2/current:
>
> qt2-2.1.0-4mdk.i586.rpm
> kdeall-20000418-1.i586.rpm
>
> I also tried the appropriate packages from redhat and even compiled them
> myself. But every attempt to save a file in any koffice application killed the
> application and didn't save the file. Is this a problem with the alpha binaries
> or (more likely) am I doing something wrong?
>
> Here is the output from running kword from within an xterm:
>
> $ /opt/kde2/bin/kword
> iconloader (kdelibs): Theme tree: (KDE-LoColor-kword: (KDE-HiColor: (KDE-LoColor
> kio (Scheduler): Scheduling job
> kword: createSlave for file:/home/braun/
> kword: ERROR: ERROR 4: couldn't create slave : can't talk to klauncher

Is there a process called "kdeinit" running, after you launched koffice ?

If you run kword from an xterm, did you think about setting
KDEDIR and PATH first, so that they point to /opt/kde2 (and /opt/kde2/bin
for PATH) ? See http:///www.kde.org/kde1-and-kde2.html if you need
more instructions on how to set up kde 1 and kde 2 on the same system -
but in fact this applies even if you want to use kde 2 from another
WM/desktop, whichever it is.

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org