I wonder if I did a good thing by using KIO in KOffice for saving even locally... On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 12:03:17AM -0700, William Braun wrote: > > > I have installed the following packages from ftp.nebsllc.com/kde2/current: > > qt2-2.1.0-4mdk.i586.rpm > kdeall-20000418-1.i586.rpm > > I also tried the appropriate packages from redhat and even compiled them > myself. But every attempt to save a file in any koffice application killed the > application and didn't save the file. Is this a problem with the alpha binaries > or (more likely) am I doing something wrong? > > Here is the output from running kword from within an xterm: > > $ /opt/kde2/bin/kword > iconloader (kdelibs): Theme tree: (KDE-LoColor-kword: (KDE-HiColor: (KDE-LoColor > kio (Scheduler): Scheduling job > kword: createSlave for file:/home/braun/ > kword: ERROR: ERROR 4: couldn't create slave : can't talk to klauncher Is there a process called "kdeinit" running, after you launched koffice ? If you run kword from an xterm, did you think about setting KDEDIR and PATH first, so that they point to /opt/kde2 (and /opt/kde2/bin for PATH) ? See http:///www.kde.org/kde1-and-kde2.html if you need more instructions on how to set up kde 1 and kde 2 on the same system - but in fact this applies even if you want to use kde 2 from another WM/desktop, whichever it is. -- David FAURE david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org http://home.clara.net/faure/ KDE, Making The Future of Computing Available Today