List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Negative review of koffice..
From:       Donovan Rebbechi <elflord () panix ! com>
Date:       2000-04-18 17:31:20

> Ok, is there anything else except the mising zoom feature?

Yep. As I've mentioned before on this list:

Font display <-> Font printing.

I've already mentioned this on this list. This is a real
problem. Apparently, the GNOME people are making some attempt to
address this with GNOME-print ( see the slashdot interview with Miguel
where I ask what GNOME is doing about this for an interesting discussion )

My understanding is that at this stage, you guys are naively using the
QPrinter / QPaintDevice stuff, which supposedly lets you print and draw to
a widget using the same methods. Which would be fine if QT's unified
display/print mechanism actually worked.

The problem is that this doesn't work, -- basically, Qt tries to
"guess" printer font names from the raw X11 names, but lacks any method to
determine whether or not the font is printable. It also lacks any means to
group fonts into families.

Simply passing the buck to Qt
isn't really a solution  ( moreover, font management really isn't
something that should be leeched into a widget set, because you end up
with fonts that are only usable within the said widget set ).

--
Donovan, Author of the font HOWTO