List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Negative review of koffice..
From:       Donovan Rebbechi <elflord () panix ! com>
Date:       2000-04-18 17:42:51

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Martin Konold wrote:

[snip ]

> To me it looked like GNUMERIC is FAR behind kspread. I neither can neither

[ snip ]

> KOffice is the much more advanced technology and KOffice is much more

[ snip ]

This attitude isn't going to help you guys. I am very impressed
with KOffice, but you'd do well to learn from what the Gnome guys are
doing instead of touting your superiority.

I suggest you read the slashdot interview with Miguel and see what he says
about Gnome-print. ( there's a part where I state the "WYSIWYG typography
problem very clearly and he explains Gnome's approach to solving it )

UNIX has a fundamental problem with display/print unification, and naively
expecting Qt to solve the problems for you isn't going to cut it.

I posted questions about this on this very list and I must say I was
surprised by the fact that noone appears to have given any serious thought
to addressing the fact that UNIX cannot do "WYSIWYG typography", while the
GNOME camp not only have thought about it, but are actually doing
something.

--
Donovan