List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Negative review of koffice..
From:       Robert Jones <rjo736 () airmail ! net>
Date:       2000-04-18 12:24:31

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

<snip>

> My guess is that the author is one of these guys who has really strong
> opinions but doesn't write any code.
>
> --
> Donovan

Those that can, do; those that can't, teach; those that haven't a clue
become critics.

Being neither coder nor Learned Professor, I'll offer this observation about
Star Office with the profound hope that such silliness doesn't infiltrate
koffice.
Yahoo has a facility for downloading historical stock quotes. For example,
http://chart.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=t&a=4&b=1&c=2000&d=4&e=8&f=2000&g=d&q=q&y=0&z=t&x=.csv

will get you a week in the life of AT&T in csv format:
Date,Open,High,Low,Close,Volume
7-Apr-00,56.8125,57,55.6875,56.6875,5242100
6-Apr-00,55.1875,56.8125,55.125,56.5625,8410000
<snip>
Both Star Office and M$ Excel suck up the file like a vacuum cleaner. The
difference is that Excel is smart enough to parse the data in the 1st column
and display it as a date (sortable) in whichever format the user chooses.
OTOH, *this* user has yet to stumble upon the magic to cause SO to convert
the non-native date format into something that is usable. (I tried search &
replace '-' with '. ', then '. 0' with '. 200' then '. 9'     with '. 199'
to manually change the data into the form '7. Apr. 2000', 13. Mar. 1999',
etc and this works fine -- except for the month of May, which appears to
convert but will not sort properly!)

This post is obviously completely off-topic up to this point. I'll apologize
for that by reiterating my hope that issues like the one outlined above
don't creep into koffice and detract from the countless hours of hard work
that has been and will be expended by its developers.

Best regards