List:       koffice
Subject:    RE: User support (RE: M$ Word filter?)
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () cramersystems ! com>
Date:       1999-11-26 10:13:01

>         I have a few problems , please help me.
Me ? I don't do user support :-)))
*LOL*

> One is versions of QT. If I set the QTDIR to point to QT2 libs, will it
not
> interfere in QT1.4x programs.
> Again for KDE2 I need to set KDEDIR to kde2 directory. KDE1.1.x is
installed in
> /opt/kde and KDE2 is in /usr/local/kde. If I set KDEDIR to /usr/local/kde
, how
> can I ensure that KDE1.1.x apps get KDE1.1.x libs.
What you say is right : you shouldn't run KDE 1.x programs after setting
QTDIR and KDEDIR
to point to the 2.x versions. But you can avoid doing this very easily :
create a script (I call it "kde2") that contains
export QTDIR=...
export KDEDIR=...
export PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH

And do a "source kde2" in a shell when you want to use a KDE 2 app (e.g.
koffice).

This way, the rest of your environment (other shells and apps) still have
the 1.x env. vars.
You can even write a similar script for going back to KDE 1.x

> And to run KOffice do I need to run the kded , or
> something like that.

In the kde-2 shell, run dcopserver and kded before you launch the
first app.

--
David Faure
faure@kde.org - KDE developer