List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: M$ Word filter?
From:       Keith Antoine <kantoine () eastwind ! com ! au>
Date:       1999-11-26 8:21:33

Vinodh wrote:

>         A very well put reply. This has always been a traditional problem, that
> of having no standard. Come to think of it , even KDE's image viewer doesnot
> read gimp's .xcf file. So kword's file format will be another one among many.
> While kword will read and write to a few other file formats , this still doesnt
> solve the problem.
>         But as I see it , it is not a major cause of worry atleast as far as
> linux is concerned. KOffice is the first full fledged office suite that is
> turning heads. Sun might even cooperate with you guys for writing star office
> filters , if some one requests them. Same for applix. All the other office
> suites are not really used on a heavy scale. So I think let's all make KOffice
> as the default standard in linux , by making it so good that others are forced
> to use it for its features and ease of use. Then we shall be in a position to
> form a common standard. No harm was meant for anybody , and if someone feels
> hurt , I am extremely sorry.
>
> vinny

The way I see it, and I agree with what dep said, but mind you this is
exactly what Amiga did do, make wordprocessors that where able to import
other file formats. They also managed to write std file formats that
were easily read.
I am not a programmer/developer, but a USER and as such the koffice
developers should be finding out what the users want now not later.

I feel that it IS a major source of worry as WORD is definitely the
yardstick by which all else is measured and it is what users that
transfer to linux will want, no and ifs or buts. Most of the developers
lose sight of the fact that ultimately the users dictate the market, not
what you want them to have. No one is feeling hurt and I am looking
forward to the release of koffice but it does seem shortsighted to make
another NATIVE format.
--
Regards
Keith

Keith Antoine     | Eastwind Internet Services 07 3300 2161
18 Arkana St      | Internet Service Providor and Web Hosting
The Gap           | kantoine@eastwind.com.au
--http://www.eastwind.com.au
Queensland 4061   | Rtd Electronics Engineer & Brisbanes' Geriatric ISP
Australia         | System run by Caldera OpenLinux 2.2:  The only way
to fly!