List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KOffice Style Guide - First Draft
From:       Werner Trobin <wtrobin () carinthia ! com>
Date:       1999-11-14 18:43:07

Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> >I like this style guide :-)
> >
> >Just one short question: What's wrong with using a statusbar?
>
> Nothing, IMO every KOffice app should have a statusbar (showing current page
> num, some other specific info). Also in a statusbar you should have a animated
> printer if the part is printing, or show a progressbar if something happens
> which takes longer (e.g. loading a long doc). This should be added in the
> future IMO.

Yes. I only wanted to say that it is of no use to have a statusbar just to
*have* one (e.g. displaying the system time or other useless stuff while
occupying screen real estate). Don't get me wrong - I like statusbars if
they are *used* :)

> Because of the template dialog: I disagree that "Open empty document" should be
> removed. Ok, currently itīs the same as the Plain template. But this will
> change. Iīll change it that using this a default document (empty) without a
> template is opened. So, imagine your setup is fucked up, and no templates are
> found. In this case you can still do something using the "Open empty document"
> way as this doesnīt need a template. So, this entry in the template dia has to
> stay (and I donīt see a single argument for removing it)

Aha... I see.

> Because of the toos/insert/edit stuff: You know my opinion. If somebody knows
> how to make it better - work on the kpresenter.rc or kword.rc file and send it
> me. If I like it Iīll use it as default, else I wont :-))

It's not a decision between good and bad, it's just a change that the stuff
is consistent. We can change KSpread to use the 'Tools' menu or KWord to use
'Insert'.

IMHO we should ask some people from kde-look (sorry, I'm not subscribed) to
read the draft, check out KOffice, and suggest the Right Thing(tm).

Werner