List:       koffice
Subject:    Attention when porting to cuteIDL
From:       Lotzi Boloni <boloni () cs ! purdue ! edu>
Date:       1999-09-24 6:44:23

  Hi guys

  There is a potential to a very hard to debug bug when porting your
application to cuteIDL.

  in your view file, you have to change the signiture to:

  virtual bool event( const QCString& _event, const CORBA::Any& _value );

  The problem is that the old one, with char* instead of QCString&
compiles without problems, only that it is not called (actually the
parent's function is called). This way I ended up with the standard file
menu and toolbar, instead of the customized one.

  I guess that problems like this can happen everywhere where a class
generated from IDL is overwritten, and as the problem is not detectable
at compile time and even at runtime may be sort of hidden, extra care is
needed.

           have fun

               Lotzi