List:       koffice
Subject:    RE: Problem: Close & Exit
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () CRAMER ! CO ! UK>
Date:       1999-09-13 7:49:08

> No, of course not:) Just looked at the dialog. Hmm...
> Maybe we should just change the dialog a bit. (Btw: I mean, the dialog
> is called "Choose a template" anyway, so hitting cancel means "No, I
> don't want a template" and not "No, I don't want to start kword now").
Ah, I didn't check the title of the dialog.  :)
Well, we can change it ;)

> IMHO the dialog should just offer to choose a start template
> and nothing
> more. The "Start with an empty document" would be redundant
> then(the job
> is done by Cancel), so it can be removed. And for the "Open
> an existing
> document" option: If we want to follow the document centric approach
> consequently this should be also removed. If the user wants to open an
> existing doc, he/she can just open it with the file manager.
That's just another way of doing the same. Many people are NOT
document-centric in their mind. My mother for instance always launches the
application first, then opens her document. For people that don't like
file managers, it's the normal way of doing things.
I myself have used kpresenter this way a lot of times (ok that was
before it could accept the document path as argument, but still).

> And in case
> he/she started kword from the panel(as if it should become a new doc)
> and then realizes that he/she actually wanted to open an existing doc,
> File->Open in the new doc is the way to go.
Hmm... Sure, but the button in the startup dialog is just another
convenient way of doing the same.

I quite like the way it is now. What you suggest is to make it look more
like MS Word, which, I think, is not the only option. I don't say we _have_
to make it different, I just say that we should be able to think of
something different if we want.
Well, anyway. This doesn't look very important to me, though we have to
decide what happens on Cancel.

--
David Faure
faure@kde.org - KDE developer